Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A Celebration of Christmas

Christmas is just a week away and normally I would be in full holiday mode; holiday shopping, baking, gift wrapping, food planning and preparation, but not so much this year.

It has been completely surreal watching the Christmas season wing into high gear here.  It is definitely not how I imagined it!  It's hard to describe but I guess to sum it up it's just not very holiday-ish here.   And that is not because it is 80 degrees and we are surrounded by palm trees and surf boards.  It's just everything...the decor is willy nilly at the mall, few places play holiday music, holiday lights are hung sparingly, traditional Christmas trees are half dead by they time they arrive on the island, and of course your shopping on-island is quite limited.  Oh and Santa.  Who's Santa?  Good luck finding the big guy here.  I can say for certain after my time in Maui that I miss the traditional mainland Christmas hoopla!

Since we are not going home for the holidays and we have no plans in Maui, I planned Christmas dinner virtually and delegated the work to my Mom.  She is a darn good hostess, so I am sure she will pull the celebration together beautifully!

1/2/3/4/5/6


My family's Christmas Celebration this year will be...

Appetizers:

Stuffed Mushrooms
Cheese board with marinated olives

Main Course:

Honey Glazed Spiral Ham
Balsamic Roasted Red Potatoes
Pomegranate Appeal Pear Salad
Roasted Mushroom Medley

The recipes and sources can be found by clicking on the numbers just underneath the photo spread.

Happy holidays!

Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment